Why is HIPAA Important?
HIPAA was created to benefit customers and improve the health insurance system with the simplification of healthcare in general. There are four key reasons why HIPAA is important to patients. This law ensures:
- Security of Health Information,
- Privacy of Health Data,
- Medical Record Copies for Patients,
- Patient Notification of Data Breaches
Remaining in compliance is integral for a healthcare company. Taking a look at these five tips can help you cover the necessary bases when creating automated appointment reminders.
1. Take a Good Look at Your Notice of Privacy Practices
Your Notice of Privacy Practice is your key to properly sending out automated appointment reminders to patients. Make sure that your NPP is updated and gives your patients the chance to opt-in or out of SMS or email reminders. Ensure that your policy is clear and specifically states what your patients are opting-in on.
2. Keep Your Patients Held Accountable